• Where do you live, where are you escaping to and for what purpose?
I live in Penang, Malaysia. I am escaping to South Island, New Zealand for inspiration and adventure.
• How many people were part of your journey?
• Where did you stay? Is there something special you wish to share about this hotel/house?
I travelled around South Island, Dunedin, Queenstown, Milford Sound, Te Anau, Hollyford Valley, Invercargill, Caitlins, Mount Cook, Rangitataand Christchurch. I booked as I travelled and stayed mainly in hostels.
• What did you most like about the trip?
Travelling alone allows me the freedom to go where I want and do what I want without compromise. I also meet people from all over the world and exchange travel experiences. This trip was about a sense of adventure and doing things I would not normally do on a daily basis. I managed to tick quite a few things off my bucket list.
• Could you share an unforgettable memory about the trip?
There were many; surfing in St Claire, Dunedin, bungy jumping in Queenstown, white water rafting in Rangitata, seeing wild sea lions along the coast and swimming with dolphins.
• Favourite restaurant(s) or food you have tried during your trip?
Vudu café and rehab for healthy vegetarian options in Queenstown. It was quite hard being a vegetarian in New Zealand. I ended up buying fresh produce from the supermarkets and farmers markets.
• What are the must tries/ sees of the city?
New Zealand is famous for its outdoor sports, landscape and national parks. Queenstown is the adrenaline mecca. Must tries include BungyJumping, Shotover jet, Sky diving and trekking. On the other spectrum, there are several award winning wineries which is open to the public and offers wine tasting and good food.
• Any hidden secrets you could whisper to us?
Not quite a secret but if you are a Lord of the Rings fan then this is a place where a lot of the movie was filmed. The best and cheapest way to travel is to rent a car or caravan and drive around to see the surrounding landscapes at your leisure.
• What are your travel quintessential?
It has to be about experiencing something new be it adventure, nature or culture.
• Would you go back?
Yes I would go back in a different season maybe autumn/winter to see a different landscape and try out the winter sports.
• Could you list a few of your favourite finds you came back with?
For me I hardly buy material things. My favourite finds were experiencing fantastic scenery, secret lakes and waterfalls, great memories that I brought home.
• Is there any tip that might be useful to know before going there? Where is your next stop?
New Zealand especially Queenstown gets very busy in the Summer. It is best to book a room in advance to avoid disappointment or go off peak to avoid all the tourists. Always where sunblock or you will burn with no ozone layer protection.
My next stop is taking the ski train from London to Bourg St Maurice for skiing in Les Arcs, France.